Three students, sitting in chairs, listen intently to a KU staff member.

Applying to the University of Kansas

Every student who applies to KU has personal goals and a specific future in mind. Reaching them is an individual effort that looks different for everybody.


For all domestic applicants: KU’s online application

Create an account, save progress, and complete when ready

For freshman applicants only: the Common Application

Sign in and add the University of Kansas to “My Colleges”

KU’s admission process

We encourage all students to apply, as we individually review each application for these factors: 

  • Cumulative high school GPA
  • ACT or SAT scores, if available
  • GPA in the core curriculum
  • Strength of courses
  • College transcripts, if sent

Because we know taking the ACT and/or SAT may be difficult at this time, the University of Kansas is test-optional for both admissions and scholarships.

Freshmen are assured admission into KU’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, School of Journalism, or School of Social Welfare if they meet one of these combinations:

  • An ACT score of at least 21 or an SAT score of at least 1060 plus a GPA of at least 3.25
  • An ACT score of at least 24 or an SAT score of at least 1160 plus a GPA of at least 3.0
  • A 3.4 GPA on a 4.0 scale, no test scores required or regardless of test score submitted

To earn direct admission to other schools and programs, you may need to meet specific requirements beyond those for general admission to KU.

Transfer students are assured admission with 24+ transferable credit hours at a GPA of 2.5 or higher from a regionally accredited community college, college, or university.

New applicants and applicants seeking readmission can also download and print a PDF application to submit by mail, though review of these applications may take longer.

Important freshman deadlines

  • Nov. 1, 2020

    Freshman early action deadline

  • March 1, 2021

    Freshman scholarship deadline

  • Apr. 1, 2021

    Freshman application update deadline

Important transfer deadlines

  • Jan. 14, 2021

    Transfer spring semester deadline

  • May 1, 2021

    Transfer scholarship deadline

  • May 28, 2021

    Transfer summer semester deadline

  • Aug. 19, 2021

    Transfer fall semester deadline

UNIV 101 class with Jinah Parker
Cheering students at KU vs Tennessee basketball game
Students in a dorm room

Application requirements

All applications must include:

Applications from students starting their college careers at KU also include:

  • A list of senior year courses
    If you're applying to the University Honors Program, you'll need to upload a copy of your transcript or have it sent to the Office of Admissions
  • Self-reported grades and GPA from high school coursework
  • Self-reported ACT or SAT scores
    KU's ACT code is 1470 and SAT code is 6871
  • If applicable, official GED or HiSET high school equivalency test scores

Applications from students transferring to KU must include:

  • Official transcripts from each college attended
    A faxed transcript (sent directly from the college) is acceptable for admission consideration, but we won’t award transfer credit until we receive official transcripts mailed or sent electronically from the college via an electronic transcript provider.

If you’re transferring with fewer than 24 transferable credit hours, you’ll also need to provide a final, official high school transcript (or GED high school equivalency exam scores) with your graduation date mailed from your high school or the state GED agency, and official ACT or SAT scores.

Optional steps after applying

Check your application status

We’ll email you after we receive your completed application. Although we should provide a decision in less than a week, you can check your admission status at any time.

Update your application

Change your GPA, test scores, and personal information, or let us know you've decided not to attend KU. (To qualify for higher scholarship tiers, students entering as freshmen must submit improved GPA and/or test scores by Apr. 1.)

Students with specific statuses

International students work with International Admissions, an office separate from the KU Office of Admissions that assists prospective students from outside the U.S. (Students who are in the process of applying for permanent residency are considered domestic students.)

The University of Kansas welcomes all undergraduate and graduate applicants regardless of citizenship status. Undocumented students, with or without Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status, should follow the same application procedure for all other domestic, undergraduate KU applicants. Citizenship status will remain confidential.

Kansas law KS 76-731a allows undocumented immigrants to pay in-state tuition if they meet specific in-state requirements. If you qualify, submit this application and affidavit, which is a written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation and signed by a notary public to be used as evidence, to the Office of the University Registrar within 30 days of the first day of your first semester.

If you submitted only your JST, you should apply for admission as a freshman. If you have earned additional course credit from a college or university after graduating from high school, you should apply as a transfer. The Office of Admissions encourages our student veterans to email to discuss individual situations.

Apply as a readmit if you attended KU before; you earned grades of A, B, C, D, F, WG, I, S, or U; and it has been one semester or longer since you have attended KU. There is no fee for the readmit application, which contains a place for you to list your activities since leaving KU and include any schools you've attended.

Readmission is not guaranteed to students who left or were dismissed from KU. You may be readmitted if you left KU in good academic standing and are in good standing with all other institutions you've attended since your enrollment here.

Applicants to the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences who were academically dismissed will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Dismissed readmits must submit official transcripts from all schools attended since leaving KU by the related deadline to be considered for readmission.

Spring: Jan. 5
Summer: May 25
Fall: Aug. 19

Apply as a nondegree-seeking student if you are a student visiting from another college or university and want to transfer a KU course to your home institution, are a high school student who plans to take a college-level course during high school, are taking a class for personal enrichment but not to obtain a degree, or are only seeking a certificate.

Nondegree-seeking students are limited to six credit hours per semester and generally do not receive financial aid or live in university housing. Courses taken as nondegree-seeking do not automatically apply toward a KU degree.

Graduate students work with Graduate Admissions, an office separate from the KU Office of Admissions that assists prospective graduate students.