A few things to help you make your decision and take the Next steps to becoming a Jayhawk
Rising to the challenge
- As a member of the prestigious American Association of Universities, KU has a reputation for excellence in teaching and research. A degree from the University of Kansas will make you better prepared for what's ahead, and employers know it, too.
- Our honors program is one of the highest-ranking in the country, with courses taught by top faculty, extra out-of-class learning experiences, research opportunities, and a supportive intellectual community.
1,000+ ways to get involved
Whether you're into student government, community service, religion, politics, music, or just hanging out, we've got something for you:
- Close to 5,000 students live on campus, where there's always something going on.
- You can choose from nearly 500 student-run organizations — or you can start one of your own.
- All students have free access to our fitness center (including our newest features, like the rock climbing wall and indoor golf simulator).
- Our intramural sports teams, sports clubs, tournaments, and other recreational activities will keep you moving.
$202 million in financial aid awards
- Each year, KU students are awarded more than $202 million in scholarships, grants, loans, and other funding.
- 68% of KU students receive financial aid.
- If you complete your admission application before Nov. 1 and your grades and test scores qualify, you'll automatically receive a KU scholarship — no essays or extra forms needed. Find out how much you'd receive with our award table.
Live where you Rock Chalk
KU Student Housing offers 10 residence halls and 12 scholarship halls, which gives you many options to choose from.
If you’re newly admitted – and you apply for on-campus housing by May 1 – you’re guaranteed a space.
The perfect college town
- Lawrence is large enough to give off a big-city vibe, but small enough to make you feel right at home. The community revolves around the campus, and together they've built a buzzing epicenter of culture, art galleries, music venues, green spaces, and locally owned boutiques and restaurants.
- Lawrence has a population of 97,000, and about 24,000 of those are students.
- Kansas City is a 40-minute drive away, with performing arts, sports venues, shopping centers, and world-famous barbecue.
You know you're a member of the Jayhawk family the first time you find yourself yelling, "Rock Chalk!" to say hello. We've got a proud list of traditions that connect us across generations.
These videos introduce a few of them: