Credit for Military Service

The University of Kansas grants some college credit hours for U.S. veterans and active duty military.

Eligible experiences

If you have completed the following experiences, you can earn KU credit:

  • Basic training (earn 4 hours in Health, Sport & Exercise Sciences)
  • Military courses: The Office of Admissions completes the initial credit evaluation once a student’s application is complete.
  • The Office of Admissions encourages our student veterans to email to discuss your individual situation. Based on an individual’s experience KU Core Goals may be met utilizing military credit and/or experiences.

KU does not offer credit for Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) training or job experience.

How to earn credit

To earn credit for basic training, send us a copy of your DD-214 discharge papers and/or your JST.

To earn credit for military courses send a copy of your official military transcripts and/or your CLEP scores:

How to apply for admission

If you submitted only your JST transcript, you should apply for admission as a freshman.

If you have earned additional course credit from a college or university after graduating from high school, you should apply as a transfer.

Fee Waiver Option

Find out if you are eligible for a application fee waiver for your military service.