The University of Kansas grants some college credit hours for U.S. veterans and active duty military.
If you have completed the following experiences, you can earn KU credit:
- Basic training (earn 4 hours in Health, Sport & Exercise Sciences)
- Military courses: The Office of Admissions completes the initial credit evaluation once a student’s application is complete by awarding credit based on "A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services" published by the American Council on Education (ACE).
- The Office of Admissions encourages our student veterans to email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your individual situation. Based on an individual’s experience KU Core Goals may be met utilizing military credit and/or experiences.
KU does not offer credit for Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) training or job experience.
How to earn credit
To earn credit for basic training, send us a copy of your DD-214 discharge papers and/or your JST.
To earn credit for military courses send a copy of your official military transcripts and/or your CLEP scores:
- Joint Services Transcript (JST) for Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy
- Community College of the Airforce (CCAF)
- Defense Language Institute's Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC)
How to apply for admission
If you submitted only your JST transcript, you should apply for admission as a freshman.
If you have earned additional course credit from a college or university after graduating from high school, you should apply as a transfer.