Transferability of Credits

We transfer as many courses as possible as a direct match to KU courses. When we don't have a corresponding course, we use a transfer code system to indicate how the course transfers. Coded courses may fulfill KU Core requirements, degree requirements, and/or count toward elective hours.

Credits that don't transfer

We can only accept transfer credit from institutions that were accredited by a regional accrediting agency at the time they were completed. Transfer credit from international institutions that are not accredited by a U.S. regional accrediting association are evaluated under different standards.

We also don't accept credit from courses that are developmental, vocational, medical, or technical in nature. Contact your individual school about transfer credits if you plan to attend a program at the KU Medical Center campus.

If you earned a grade of D+ or below (or the equivalent for your institution), your transfer credit may not be applied toward a degree. If the course is otherwise transferable, grades of D+, D, D-, and F (or their equivalents) are used to calculate your cumulative transfer GPA.

Junior- and senior-level credit

Courses are matched as closely as possible by topic, but different schools may designate different levels of credit for the same course. KU grants the level of credit defined by the originating institution. So, an upper-level course completed at your original institution may match to a lower-level course at KU, but it would still retain upper-level credit on your transcript, and vice versa.

A maximum of 64 hours of community college course work can be applied toward a KU degree. All community college courses transfer as lower-level credit. A bachelor's degree from KU requires 45 upper-level hours.

All transfer hours are converted to semester hours if necessary.

Completed degrees

If you completed an associate's or bachelor's degree at another institution, your courses will be evaluated individually to see whether they are eligible for KU credit and whether they satisfy KU Core Goals. Once you've been admitted, you can review your Degree Progress Report online and meet with an academic advisor during Orientation to discuss any remaining course requirements before you enroll.

Summer math courses

If you're enrolling in a KU math course for the fall term and are taking a required prerequisite course over the summer at another institution, it is your responsibility to check with the transferring institution to make sure they can document your course in time for your credit to transfer.

For you to receive credit, your institution must generate an official copy of your transcript, including a grade for the transfer math course, and mail it in time to arrive at the KU Office of Admissions by Aug. 13. Otherwise, you may be dropped from your fall math course at KU. If you have questions, contact the Office of Admissions at 785-864-3911 or

Course transfer, reverse transfer - Kansas Board of Regents

Appealing Credit Decisions

If you have a course on your transcript that didn't transfer the way you thought it would, email We can answer questions about the process and provide additional information about how your course was evaluated.

If you would like to appeal the course transfer decision, submit a Request for Re-Evaluation of Transfer Credit form.

If the credit you were awarded is correct, but you believe it should satisfy a KU Core Goal, fill out the KU Core petition form.

If you received course credit for AP or CLEP scores from a Kansas Regents institution and would like to have the credit applied from your college transcript rather than receiving the credit that KU awards directly from the AP and CLEP scores, please fill out the AP or CLEP Transcript Credit Form.


Use this tool to search for courses offered at another institution and see how they have previously transferred to KU.