students on campus

Next steps for transfers

Set up your KU online ID and email address

You'll need the student ID number listed on your admission letter, or you can find it in the system where you check your application status. (It's not the username you used to apply online.)

When you log in at the link below, on-screen instructions will walk you through the process of obtaining your assigned KU online ID and email address, as well as setting up a password, challenge questions, and additional email aliases.

Set up your online ID

Sign up for student housing

Transfer students may live on campus in one of three options: apartments, residence halls, or scholarship halls.

Apply and pay the $50 fee for housing as soon as possible — room selection begins in the spring.

Your all-inclusive options include the privacy and convenience of Stouffer Place or Jayhawker Towers apartment complexes; two-person rooms or two- or four-person suites in residence halls; or scholarship halls, which are the best financial value because “schol hallers” cook and clean in exchange for the lowest room cost.

Sign up for housing

Fill out the FAFSA and explore financing options

All U.S. students are eligible to apply for federal financial aid. If you're starting in the fall, file a FAFSA form anytime after Oct. 1 and have your information sent to KU (school code 001948).

Meet KU's priority date of December 1 for the best chance at the limited funds some programs offer. If you're admitted for spring or summer, you can fill out the FAFSA now for aid in those terms. Be sure to cancel aid at your previous school, so KU can disburse your aid.

Find financial aid

Register for Transfer Orientation

In addition to academic advising and enrolling in your first-semester classes, Transfer Orientation will cover resources at KU, what it means to be a Jayhawk, and tips for handling the transition to KU.

Orientation sessions occur in January for spring-admitted students, and April, June, July, and August for fall-admitted students. The Office of First-Year Experience will send registration materials to spring-admitted students in late November and fall-admitted students in mid-January.

There are additional Orientation activities and requirements for international students.

Register for Orientation

Transfer students do not pay an enrollment deposit. However, they will have a one-time $171 new student fee placed on their student account after enrolling in KU courses. This fee covers Orientation, First-Year Programs, and KU Card. After enrollment, this fee is non-refundable.

See how your credits transfer

Within one month of sending KU your official transcripts, you can log into the myKU student portal with your KU online ID and check your Degree Progress Report (DPR), the larger report from which you can print your Degree Requirements Checklist or Advising Report. Use this information to discuss your degree path with your advisor at Orientation.

See how your credits transfer


KU online ID and email address




Transferring credits